Department of Legislation and Legal Affairs (DWJZ)
Below is an overview of the vision, mission, objectives and tasks of the Department of Legislation and Legal Affairs.
The Department of Legislation and Legal Affairs provides transparency for the Country in the complex legal world.
The Department of Legislation and Legal Affairs promotes fair, practical and just governance through clear counseling, advocacy and legislation.
The Department works with other ministries to assess the rights and duties of the government and citizen in a proper manner. Our main aim is to provide services and products to our clients: individuals, organizations and businesses. Service to the client is of key importance, both in our approach and the way the organization is structured. We are results-oriented, cost-conscious and interact in a friendly, open and committed way with our clients.
The Department of Legislation and Legal Affairs has a supportive role in the production of various products by different government departments. In addition, the management has an evaluative and/or investigative function regarding government-wide matters. It monitors the legal position of the entire organization and is as such the "legal conscience". In some cases, the management can give solicited or unsolicited, advice regarding the legal process and the resulting consequences. On the one hand, it has an evaluative, framework-setting and monitoring role and on the other hand, it gives advice and support during implementation.
The Department of Legislation aims to promote fair, effective and just governance by the national bodies and in cooperation with other ministries, balance the rights and obligations of government and citizens.
The Department of Legislation and Legal Affairs aims to achieve its objective by performing at least the following tasks:
- To make all necessary regulations belonging to its task;
- To publish all regulations in the Official Gazettes and the Official Journals and related activities;
- To study and analyze the legal and political developments of Kingdom Affairs and Constitutional Affairs;
- To initiate advices, policy documents and research in this field;
- To handle administrative matters for all ministries;
- To handle matters relating to constitutional law, civil law, commercial law and criminal law, civil procedure and criminal procedure;
- To prepare solicited or unsolicited legal and policy advice for the ministries that relate to constitutional law, civil law, commercial law and criminal law, civil procedure and criminal procedure;
- To draw up solicited or unsolicited legal and policy advice to the Minister of Justice regarding topics in the field of public order and safety; organization of justice, legal person’s rights, citizenship, admission and expulsion, application of criminal law and special law established under the responsibility of the Minister of Justice;
- To draft solicited or unsolicited legal and policy advice for ministries on the granting, renewal, revocation of licenses, permissions and waivers;
- To act as State Attorney at the Court of First Instance, the Joint Court of Justice, to give solicited and unsolicited advice on all administrative cases and litigation, to represent the country and its governing bodies in all proceedings under the LAR (Administrative Justice Ordinance);
- To publish official by law required public service announcements of licenses and the like.