They reviewed the changes made over the years that have led to a significant digitization of tax processes in Aruba.
Journey from 2017 to 2023:
- In 2017, DIMP introduced the SAP system, which started the digitalization of taxes and monthly premiums;
- In 2019, they digitalized the yearly taxes and introduced the automated tax system BO Impuesto platform;
- In 2019, they also introduced changes to make Fiscal Reform I possible.
- During the pandemic in 2020 and 2021, the system demonstrated its value by facilitating Tax Relief I and II for the community and the necessary cross-check for SVB to provide Salary Subsidy to businesses. It was at a time when physical contact was nearly impossible due to measures such as "shelter in place" to protect public health;
- In 2022, they made the necessary preparations to implement Fiscal Reform II, resulting in the Tax Plan 2023 carried out at the beginning of 2023;
- In the same year, they also introduced "BBO at the border", and the technical implementation proved successful.
Shortly, DIMP will digitize more tax processes to create the necessary efficiency, namely:
- In 2023, the intention is to introduce the possibility of filing "objections" online.
- In 2024, they will digitize taxes on profits and dividend taxes and enhance the electronic security of MFAs.
- In 2025, work will start to integrate DIMP with essential registers such as the Civil Registry, Chamber of Commerce, SVB, DOW, DLV, and DIP.
- It is also the intention to introduce the "pay now" feature in BOI. They will use analytics to enhance compliance and consider upgrading the SAP system and transitioning to cloud-based storage.
In addition to the digitalization efforts, DIMP carries out significant work to improve the services of DIMP for the community. DIMP recently overcame the 40-year backlog in processing income tax refunds In 2023, for the first time, they managed to pay the tax refunds for 2022 within just a few weeks after the filing.
The final phase is ongoing to improve DIMP's phone system to provide better service. They will install a task force to address the backlog in handling objection letters. They will carry out these efforts simultaneously to enhance DIMP's service to the community.
The government expresses gratitude to the DIMP team and the company Gravity IT for all their efforts in successfully implementing the digitalization journey at DIMP.