Port City project announced

ORANJESTAD – On September 6, 2022, the Minister of Tourism and Public Health, Mr. Dangui, the Prime Minister, Mrs. Evelyn Wever Croes, and Aruba Ports Director (APA) Mr. Marc Figaroa announced the project "Port City".

The former cargo terminal area at the Oranjestad cruise terminal, moved to Barcadera, becomes available for development.

The Minister of Tourism and Public Health, Mr. Dangui, the Prime Minister, Mrs. Evelyn Wever Croes, and Aruba Ports Director (APA) Mr. Marc Figaroa announce the project 'Port City'.The Port City project will include a $500 million private investment that should create an enormous economic spinoff for Aruba. The project will generate significant employment and revenue for the APA and the Government and help increase Aruba's GDP. 

Multiple Governments have exchanged ideas and met with stakeholders before finally deciding what to do with the large area of the former harbor in Oranjestad. The Government's goal is to convert it into a project called Port City, a mix of construction and nature that will remain available for the entire community.

Port City

Port City is a master plan, an ambitious plan to create a new city for the future with an implementation period between 10 to 15 years.

The project includes a variety of mixed-use programs, including boutique hotels, condos, open spaces, scenic roads, boardwalks, parking areas, and landscapes. It is a high-quality project with the development of exclusive boutique hotels. The first phase will begin in the former Bushiri Hotel up to the roundabout of Wendy's area.

Port City project OranjestadPort City project OranjestadThe APA will offer these lands in the form of a sub-leasehold. The tender's winner must to pay 40% of the ground lease in advance and the remaining 60% in 60 years.  APA will reinvest the received income in infrastructure, roads, landscaping, boardwalk, and maintenance.

In this project, sustainability will be central to the building's construction, all of which will have the LEED (Leadership in Energy and Environmental Design) certification while leveraging the circular economic model.

The new city will be very efficient with the use and re-use of the resources, making this a very modern, sustainable, and green project.

The public tender will take place in 2022, and the project will start in 2023.

Port City project Oranjestad

We work together on an informative, accessible and user-friendly Government Portal for Aruba.
Report something? Click here

Page options