Keeping enough distance is one of the most effective ways to reduce the risk of getting infected with the Covid19, but what does it mean.
Social distancing means not going out to social gatherings. It is important to avoid gatherings at home, the beach, nightclubs, or any other location specifically to go socialize with other persons not living in the same household as you do.
Physical distance means keeping a minimal 1.5 meters distance from others, to reduce the infection of the virus.
Why is physical distancing important?
COVID-19 spreads easily from one person to another, especially when in close and prolonged time with others. The virus spreads when an infected person sneezes, coughs, talks, screams or sings for a prolonged time. The virus is ejected with micro particles carrying the virus and becomes airborne which can be inhaled by another person close. Once inhaled, the virus quickly enters the lungs.
Research has proven that infected individuals with no symptoms can still spread the virus. These asymptomatic individuals can spread the virus without even knowing they have it. Keeping the physical distance from others is the best way to be certain not to be infected with the virus, even though the person next to you may not have any symptoms. Social distancing is especially important for those at higher risk of getting severe complications due to the virus.
In the event one has to go out, please consider the following:
- Have a plan: consider all options of transportation to go to your destination and back, even if you are riding a bicycle, use public transportation, or share a car with others.
- Limit your visits per day: avoid highly frequented places, try to go out only when needed. Avoid standing in long lines and if possible use drive-thru, take out or home delivery services. Keep proper distance at all times and use your mask every time you go out.
- Consider safe social activities: connect with friends and family that do not live in the same house as you do, by using video calls or social media. Keep in mind that there is the prohibition of gathering together in place.
- Keep a safe distance in highly frequented places: avoid going to these places where it is difficult to maintain the 1,5 meters distance. Follow the indications on the floor and signs at all locations.
- When exercising: evaluate the location where exercising if the 1,5-meter distance can be applied as the exhaled particles remain airborne for a while.