To further the development, fortification, and innovation of the education system in Aruba, the Ministry of Education, Science, and Sustainable Development agreed with this condition and will provide its cooperation.
Reason to include an agreement regarding education in the Landspakket
The importance of education on an adequate level is a common objective for Aruba and the Netherlands.
The Landspakket refers to some aspects of our education system that are not going well.
- The management level of schools are not consistent
- A lack of connection between schools and the labor market
- A lack of modern education methods
- A limited room on the budget for reforms and or innovation
Long-term goals of the review:
- To realize the basic quality of education;
- to obtain a good match between education and the labor market;
- to make good progression between systems of education (whether or not in the European Netherlands)
The review will be made via research on the macro-level of our education. It has been agreed upon that the research will focus on the management system of our education, 'governance', and also on the quality of the system. This research should start in March 2021.
Who will do the investigation?
Since the investigation is on a macro education level, it will involve all stakeholders within the education system. The first phase will focus primarily on the existing investigation and local experts will validate the findings. The investigation will address the following issues:
- Subsidy process \ management contents;
- control and supervision;
- Language in education;
- Results of students in Aruba and abroad;
- General education quality.
The team in charge of the investigation will consist of local experts and from other countries within the Dutch Kingdom.
What to expect from the investigation
The results should indicate in which direction the education system in Aruba should be steered in for the coming decades, taking into account what is sustainable and affordable for Aruba. The impact of the education system on our society will not be visible immediately. That is why it is referred to as an investment in the education system. That is why the students cannot be prepared for what is known today as the society, but rather for the society of the future.
You can find more information under topic Gof the Implementation Agenda of the financial aid package February 1 – April 2021.