What is a vaccine? Why vaccinate?

Dit item is gearchiveerd op 28-02-2021.

ORANJESTAD -  The Department of Public Health informs about the COVID-19 vaccine

What is a vaccine?

Vaccinated!A vaccine is a biological substance scientifically prepared to help the human body defend itself against viruses. A vaccine is prepared with either inactive components of a virus or genetically in the form of mRNA technology.

But what is it?

Around the world including in Aruba, most people have received a vaccine once or more. From babies to adults, everyone has received at least a vaccine to protect their bodies against viruses like Polio, Tetanus, Diphtheria, Hepatitis-B, Rubella, and many more. A vaccinated body creates antibodies that can be crucial in the fight against many viruses and illnesses when these enter the body. Nowadays thanks to easy access to traveling, transportation of livestock, food, and merchandise, viruses can infect anyone in their path during their journey. That is exactly how the Covid19 virus became a global pandemic, crossing borders effortlessly and affecting millions and killing millions as well. Since no-one was well prepared for the new virus, this was able to spread with no limits. Now that effective vaccines are available, communities can protect themselves from this virus.

Why vaccinate?

Vaccination against COVID-19The virus is not waiting on anybody to be vaccinated, it keeps on spreading from one person to another as long as it can and will mutate to stay alive. That’s is why it is so important for the entire community to be vaccinated as soon as possible as this will put the brakes on the spreading of the virus and eventually eradicate the virus. That is the same principle used to eradicate viruses in the past like Measles, Polio, and Rubella.

Covid-19 has a devastating impact on the world and has so far infected over 100 million people and killed over 2 million. It has high morbidity in combination with other chronic diseases. Patients who have a chronic disease and contract Covid19 can be in danger of worsening conditions and fatality.]

Some say that only 1% of those infected with the Coronavirus, don’t make it. That means that the other 99% survives; This information may be correct but does not reflect reality.

For every 1% (1 in 100) who die from Coronavirus:

  • 19% are hospitalized;
  • 18% have damage to their heart for the rest of their life;
  • 10% will have permanent damage to their lungs;
  • 2% will experience neurological damage resulting in chronic physical weakness and loss of coordination;
  • 2% will experience neurological damage that would result in loss of cognitive function.

COVID-19 virusIt was also determined that those infected with the Coronavirus could suffer from different conditions such as impotence.

The human organs have “doors” called ACE2 receptors. The spikes on the covid19 virus serve as keys to open these “doors’ so that the virus can establish itself in the cell. Once the virus starts to multiply, it kills the cell and can even kill the organ. That’s when the immune system reacts aggressively causing many problems. This is relevant to be able to understand how vaccines work. In the USA and Europe, any new medication will undergo thorough screening and testing. Even the rapid process undergoes rigid testing. The Covid19 vaccine took months of testing and over 30000 volunteers to test efficiency before being eligible for approval.

The development of the Covid19 vaccine is based on a new scientific technology, where the genetic code of the virus is copied and the same protein is made synthetically. A very small fraction of the genetic code in the form of the protein is administered in the body. Once the body’s immune system detects the genetic code, it activates the body’s defense and starts producing antibodies to fight what it perceives as the real virus. The immune system produces enough antibodies and when the real virus enters the body, it will be ready for combat and the infected person will not get ill. For an even greater amount of antibodies, a second “booster” dose is given in the second vaccine administered after 21 days of receiving the first dosage. The vaccine goes to work immediately but reaches its maximum efficiency 7 days after receiving the second vaccine. 

Most secondary side effects are very mild and last about 1 day.

For more information, please visit www.arubacovid19.org

We work together on an informative, accessible and user-friendly Government Portal for Aruba.
Report something? Click here

Page options